Wednesday, October 5, 2016

IWSG: How Long Does Your Story Cook?

I'm making gnocchi right now, and it's all simmering and stewing together, so that's probably why my title came out the way it did :) Pour yourself a glass of wine and join me! It's the monthly Insecure Writer's Support Group blog hop. Check out the other bloggers here, and the fearless Alex Cavanaugh, creator of the hop.

So, how do you know when your story is ready? I have two schools of thought on this. On the one hand, no matter how many times I edit something, if I go back and read it later there are always things I want to change. But you have to find that balance between proper editing and never finishing something because you're searching for perfection. I think critique partners are vital to this. Especially if you're not so good at self-editing (which you should hopefully know about yourself). I happen to have LOVELY CPs. Don't be jealous :)

How about you guys?

In other news, Vengeance and Vermouth came out since my last IWSG post, and I'm announcing a new series very soon!! Plus working on a third thing for my agent. LOTS of stuff going on.

TTFN, friends!

10 comments:

  1. Finding the balance is key because it will never be perfect.
    Awesome you have so many things happening now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, things could always be improved upon. I believe it's the Navajos who, when weaving a rug, always made a small mistake because, to paraphrase, "Only God is perfect."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, gnocchi! Simmering and stewing...a glass of wine...yum.... Sigh. :)

    Um, what were we talking about again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, a good CP can see things we might not as well as give the seal of approval to something we might not be sure about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I've never had the thing you're cooking. You must be Italian.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. "balance between proper editing and never finishing something" now there is the real trick. Each story has its own timeline, even for publication. I agree crit partners are essential.

    Congrats on your new releases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right!?! I tend to think your CPs are some of the best on the planet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I USED to be jealous... ;) I'm so excited to hear/read more about your newest projects and series!!!! Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always so hard to know when a story is ready... that's for sure:) And huge congrats on all the stuff going on in the background with your writing. Can't wait to find out more.

    ReplyDelete

I love talking with friends new and old! What's on your mind?