Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Finding Time to Write

Hi, friends! It's IWSG time - Insecure Writers Support Group, headed up by Alex Cavanaugh. Check out the other blog hoppers here.



This month's question is: How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

I work full time and so I write in the evenings. If I'm writing a first draft, I set an overall goal for a completion date, and then break that down into a daily word count goal. That might typically be 750-1000 words a day, which is about an hour/hour and a half typically. 

However, at times I've found that counting words stresses me out, so sometimes I'll hide the word count and just write each day until I feel "done". This could be 300 painfully pulled out words or 2,500 written fast and furious because I was really on a roll.

To me, the important part is just to set parameters - a word count, a length of time (30 minutes a day, etc.) and stick to it. Otherwise our lives get in the way and it's too easy for weeks and then months to go by without writing. 

How about you guys? Everyone is different. What works best for you?

As far as my anxieties for the month... just have the third Zyan Star book coming out on the 16th, and the usual worry about sales and whatnot. It's my third book launch this year, so it's been intense!

Hope everyone is doing well! TTFN!



6 comments:

  1. I've actually put a post-it note/tab thingy over the word count on my screen so I can't see it. And I know what you mean about writing until you feel "done." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I block out some time in the evening. Although to hit a thousand words, I need at least three hours. (I'm a really slow typist.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My typical is 1000 words a day as well, but when I think of all the words I write between my WIP, teaching high school English, and social media . . . it'd be interesting to keep track of that number! Good luck with book #3 release!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My typical is 1000 words a day as well, but when I think of all the words I write between my WIP, teaching high school English, and social media . . . it'd be interesting to keep track of that number! Good luck with book #3 release!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Counting words would stress me out, too. I'm more of a just write until it feels done person. Congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete

I love talking with friends new and old! What's on your mind?